This is a great make ahead dish that is perfect for Christmas morning. Thanks MJ.
What you need:
- 1 1/4 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 table spoons white karo syrup (or 2 tablespoons white sugar dissolved in 2tablespoons hot water)
- 6 tart apples (like granny smith)
- French Bread
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- dash of Cinnamon and butter over the for over the top.
What to do
- Cook together brown sugar, butter and syrup until it has a nice thick syrup consistency. Cool slightly and pour into a 9 x 13 greased pan.
- Peel and slice the apples thinly to cover the syrup.
- Layer thick slices of french bread over the apples. about 3/4″ thick.
- mix eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over the bread and apples.
- top with a dash of cinnamon and butter
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes uncovered. enjoy!